Port Charlotte Hall - Brief History

An Historical Local Landmark

Port Charlotte Hall was originally the village school - Port Charlotte School - and subsequently became the local Village Hall. It was built as a church in 1830 by the people of the village under the guidance of Reverend Malcolm MacLaurin, a Congregational Church Missionary.

The church was never completed - the balcony was never added and there seems to be no record of the building having been used as a church. It became the village school with extensions being added to the north and south. The extensions to the north were two classrooms, while that to the south was a two storey block with an outside stair. This housed the woodwork and cookery departments.

The building remained much the same until the new school was built in 1976 and it was handed back to the community. It became the Village Hall and was the venue for a variety of local activities. The restoration of the building commenced in 2006 and the final phase - the holiday cottages - were completed early in 2009.

Click Above To Play Music File
'An Ataireachd Ard', played by Murdo Macrae

Port Charlotte School
Port Charlotte School
Primary School, Port Charlotte, Isle of Islay
Primary School, Port Charlotte
Main Street, Port Charlotte
Main Street, Port Charlotte
Port Charlotte, Isle of Islay
Port Charlotte's Main Street
Port Charlotte Cattle Herd and Flock of Sheep
Farm Animals Grazing at Port Charlotte
Across Loch Indaal to Port Charlotte
Across Loch Indaal to Port Charlotte
Port Charlotte Hall, Isle of Islay
Port Charlotte Hall - Film Location
Class of 1911, Port Charlotte School, Isle of Islay
Class of 1911
Port Charlotte School in Wartime, Isle of Islay
Port Charlotte School Circa 1939-1940
School Choir, 1943, Port Charlotte School, Isle of Islay
Choir of the School in 1943
Class of 1951, Port Charlotte School, Isle of Islay
Class of 1951
Port Charlotte School Circa 1970, Isle of Islay
Port Charlotte School in 1970
Class of 1951, Port Charlotte School, Isle of Islay
Class of 1951
Port Charlotte School Circa 1951, Isle of Islay
Port Charlotte School in 1951
Class of 19?, Port Charlotte School, Isle of Islay
Class of 19?

We are most grateful to Miss E Clark of Port Charlotte for her assistance in compiling the information regarding the Hall and for her generosity in allowing us to reproduce some of her very special photographs.

We are also most grateful to Mr Alasdair MacLellan, Port Charlotte for allowing us to display some of his personal photographs on this page.

38
Picture hp-0038
38a
Picture hp-0038a
42
Picture hp-0042
Rolling Sheep Fleeces
Florrie and John rolling fleeces at Cultoon
Bruichladdich Pier, Glasgow Fair around 1915
Bruichladdich Pier. Glasgow Fair c 1915
The Coastguards
The Original Coastguard Team at Kichiaran Store, Port Charlotte
Lochindaal Wall
The Lochindaal Wall 1920s
Wall at Lochindaal
The Lochindaal Wall c 1928
Pre-Reconstruction Exterior View
Pre-Reconstruction Exterior View
Port Charlotte Hall Restored To Former Glory
Port Charlotte Hall Restored To Former Glory

Floor Plan Documentation

You may also be interested in viewing:

Each of the above links is a PDF file - you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader or a similar program to view the floor plans.

Design and Project Management by Sirus Jafari, Architect, Unicorn Architecture. Refurbishment carried out by Port Charlotte Homes Ltd.